Bicycles are becoming more and more common in our cities! These leisure and practical accessories are part of a “Vélo Québec” plan with one priority: to favor bicycles in order to reduce the number of polluting cars in cities.
For this, many marked and secure bike paths have been set up. A bicycle is very easy to park unlike a vehicle, but the bike has a disadvantage: it is easy to steal!
Bicycle locks can delay thieves and give them a lot of trouble, even deter them. But not all locks are created equal and are not all equally effective.
Your montreal locksmith will give you a comparative list of bicycle locks.
BIKE THEFT TO GET STARTED
COMPARISON OF BICYCLE LOCKS
There are many manufacturers of bicycle locks and security systems have evolved over time. The chains are made of thick steel, the padlocks are difficult to open, secret codes and complex locks protect the opening of the anti-theft device… A whole arsenal has been invented in order to avoid bicycle theft.
- U-shaped bicycle lock: This rigid steel U-shaped lock is rigid and difficult to cut. This is the minimum equipment when you want to attach your bike in the city.
- Frame or fixed lock: This very solid anti-theft device is shaped like a “horseshoe”. It allows you to lock the rear wheel and it is perfect for short stops. It can also be a good complement to the U-lock.
- Folding bike lock: This folding steel lock with articulated arms allows you to attach the frame of the bike to a pole or barrier. It is less effective than the U-lock.
- The bike chain: This “armored chain” is composed of steel links. It is closed with a key padlock or a code lock . For it to be effective against theft, choose a section of links greater than 5 mm.
- Cable with armor: The cable “boa” or also called “python” because of its shape consists of articulated cylinders and a strand of hard steel inside.
- Large diameter cable: This cable is composed of steel wires surrounded by a plastic sheath. The diameter of the section must be greater than 2 cm to be effective. Be careful, cables with a diameter of less than 2 cm do not withstand a cutting clamp for a long time.
- From the family of high-end connected locks and padlocks , the connected bike lock is controlled via the smartphone.
THE RIGHT TECHNIQUE TO ATTACH YOUR BIKE
Pass the U lock into the rear wheel and stays and add an additional cable on your front wheel.
THE TOOLS OF BICYCLE THIEVES
It is a real well-organized network with powerful tools. Here are the most used tools to cut bike chains:
- The hook
It is a small tool that is easy to carry in a bag and discreet. It is used to hook the lock of the lock but it requires a certain skill and knowledge because it is not easy to use.
- The cable cutting clamp
It is a great classic that allows you to steal bikes quickly. The cable cutter can slice a classic braided steel chain or padlock in one shot.
- The hacksaw
This tool is effective but it has a disadvantage for the bike thief: it requires a lot of physical effort and sawing a steel chain can take time.
Any doubts? Have a question? Momo locksmith in Montreal, a certified and fast locksmith, shows you how to attach and secure your bike to avoid theft. It offers you models of padlock, cable and bike chain efficient and quality at the best price.
UNLOCK A U-LOCK WITH A LOCKSMITH
With a selling price that can exceed $ 100, losing the key of a U-lock can be vexing … The problems of loss and therefore duplication of keys arise and few locksmiths will come to your rescue in this matter. Not to mention that releasing a bicycle stuck by a lock deemed inviolable without breaking it and a real challenge…