The engine of a car cannot run without the starter. This means that if the choke stops working, you will be unable to drive your vehicle. This is why it is essential to detect the symptoms of a failed starter in order to act as quickly as possible. As an automotive professional, our company Serrurier Momo gives you more explanations in the following content.
Warning signs that a choke is broken
The most obvious sign of a starter’s death is when you turn the ignition key and you don’t notice any reaction from the engine. In case the headlights, lights or radio work, the problem is not with the battery, but with the choke. Here are some symptoms of starter failure or breakage.
- The vehicle starts normally, but an abnormal metallic sound persists in the engine block;
- The car refuses to start and we hear a bang at the command;
- The starter rotates in a vacuum, a loud noise is heard and no reaction is perceived.
It may happen that the starter is not broken and it is possible to repair it. The signs to notice it are the same as when it is broken. This is noticeable when:
- The choke brushes are worn: the current does not pass enough. The choke engages, but it does not turn. This sign is only visible to professional garages or experts in the field;
- the starter is covered with grime: it can be seen with the naked eye after disassembly;
- The launcher and the choke sprocket are worn: the expertise of a mechanic is required at this level;
- The solenoid works abnormally: when someone starts their car and you do not hear any click while listening to the solenoid, it is quite possible that it is broken or not powered.
The signs that inform you if the choke needs to be changed or repaired are identical. Without the help of a professional, it will be difficult to recognize them.
The causes of the degradation of a starter
Every time you drive your car, the starter degrades naturally over time. Sometimes, when parts of the starter fail and are not treated in time, the entire part may break. By taking for example the starter brushes, when they are defective, they can sometimes destroy the collector. This consequently causes a total breakage of the choke. It is therefore important to pay attention to the signs of weakness that the car shows.
Some solutions to apply when a starter breaks
In the event that the starter is permanently broken and it is impossible to repair it, only one choice is necessary. You need to hire an auto locksmith to change the starter of the vehicle. For this purpose, you can contact Serrurier Momo who is a specialist in the field. Whatever the car key at your disposal, our team has the necessary tools to make a radical change to your choke. In case you change the starter, we can help you save money. To do this, we offer reconditioned used parts or from car breakages whose reliability we know. Unlike new items, they sell for less on the market.
In some cases, when the engine does not start, it is a starter problem. In this circumstance, you will be unable to drive your vehicle. We can intervene quickly and put our emergency locksmith services at your disposal. Whatever locksmith problem you are facing, we can help. If you have any doubts about the origin of the breakdown, do not hesitate to call us as long as you are in Montreal or its surroundings.